If Art Be The Elixir Of Life, Keep “Arting”
The on-set of COVID-19 marked a hiatus for the serious artist, gallerist, curator and the like. It gave us all the opportunity to recharge our creative batteries, reflect, introspect and connect to our creative sources. Setting up an Etsy shop against the backdrop of 2020, a year when the world economies were in turmoil, is a glowing testament to the unstoppable quality of creativity.
I set up my Etsy shop https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/RengeBySabrina in late February 2020 – in less than a month, COVID-19 was upon us and the rest is history. Financial insecurity, uncertainty and anxiety became ubiquitous and frugality became the need of the hour. Art, culture and the likes took a backseat and most of the online shopping comprised of essentials. A lot of Etsy shops went into vacation mode as delivering products overseas posed serious challenges.
To me, art has always been a panacea for every solicitude – a complete exercise in mindfulness and the best therapy for anxiety. I unleashed my creativity and stimulated my creative juices by connecting with fellow artists and drawing inspiration from them. The long hours spent before the easel yielded some of my work that features in my Etsy store and my website
I am enjoying the process and learning all I need to learn about search engine optimisation, (SEO), digital marketing, social media marketing.
As a newbie navigating through uncharted territory to promote my work online, my advice to other newbies is –
- Soak in all the information available on Google and YouTube on Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Spend some time every day doing keyword research and running listing audits via websites like Erank.
- Research your competitors and top-sellers listings – in other words, take a leaf out of their book, without indulging in plagiarism.
- My top tip to sellers is to read the Etsy Sellers Handbook – read it as many times as you need to.
- Most importantly, ask yourself what keywords you would type in the search field if you were looking for a product. Bingo!
I look forward to new growth and reaping the rewards of my labour of love.